Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Big Fat Greek Paradise

I'm in Greece, or as I like to call it, heaven. I could never have imagined a more beautiful country. I don't know if it is because I had to wait so long to see it, but seriously, it's everything I dreamed and more.

So today we woke up on the boat (after a not so good sleep) to a meal entirely consisting of bread. I read, surfed the internet, and felt the breeze on the top of the boat until we docked around 12. Greece was waiting!

We took a bus ride for about an hour and a half before lunch. I tried to capture the beauty of the country on camera, but I don't think it will really express it. I mean it's just dark blue water that is see through up close and red roof after red roof (Not kidding, there are very few roofs that don't look like that spanish tile). Seriously, it looks like a picture in a magazine. People still hang there clothes up to dry! I couldn't sleep the entire bus ride because I was just trying to soak in the wonderful beauty of the islands, mountains, sea, and villages. About 40 minutes into the ride, however, I had to pee (I know what you are thinking, TMI Lys, TMI) Well yes, you may be right, but it made me think of Kobie (our dog) and how he has to pee when he gets overly excited, and that was me! So we made an emergency stop, and then I was back marveling at Greece.

I got a gyro for lunch...it was fricken wonderful! I don't know if I will ever be able to eat a Skipper's one again. We also saw a huge hand made canal from the 1800's. We continued around the mainland over winding roads lined with pink flowers. We passed some white houses/mansions that looked like those from Mama Mia and more red roofed villages tucked into the hills with short green trees surrounding it, and of course gorgeous coast lines. Best bus ride ever.

We made it to the Ferry that took us over to the island. Another AESU group is staying in the hotel from Alabama and Florida, but other than that it is a pretty quiet area. There is a small beach, a huge pool complete with a bar behind the hotel, and a small town just a 10 minute bike ride away. I walked up and down the street, sat on the dock, and laid out by the pool for the remainder of the evening. We had fish, fries, and greek salad for dinner, and now I'm going to bed so that I can enjoy my two days in the sun in my own personal heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment