Monday, May 30, 2011

Unleashing the Wrath of The Greek Gods


I woke up today, got ready to leave for Greece, but couldn’t seem to get Lindsey up. Before I went down to breakfast I woke her up again, and she promised me she would be downstairs by 7. I attempted to find an ATM. First two didn’t work, but finally found and open one (and made it back to say bye to the people not continuing on the tour and to grab a croissant). This should have been the first sign of the day to come.

It was 7:05, we were boarding the bus, and Lindsey wasn’t there. I ran upstairs, banged on the door, and said “Sarah’s going to leave, if your butt isn’t downstairs now”. I held the bus for her (took awhile to load everything into our new small bus anyway) and we were off to Pompeii. Mind you, we were the only people on the bus who had to sit next to each other on the bus because she was late and the seats were super cramped. It was an awful 3 hours of not being able to move at all. Thirty minutes into the ride Lindsey can’t find her passport. Sarah is frantic, Lindsey is panicking, and we are trying desperately to find it. After calling the hotel that didn’t have it, Lindsey finally found it going through her suitcase for the 4th time. PHEW!

The tour of Pompeii was pretty good, but it was CRAZY hot! I snuck off at one point to get a picture of the Greek theatre because last time I was there the big one was under construction. Our tour guide was dressed in all pink, looked like Barbie and Elle Woods exploded on her wardrobe, and she just proceeded to tell us stories about the phallic symbols and the whore house. Guess she was catering to college students? I don’t remember that much sex talk on the tour with my grandparents…

We had a cheap lunch of salad, a huge pizza, and gelato before heading back on the bus. I read and slept until suddenly I smelled something funny. I looked around and everyone else smelled it too. Next thing I know, we are pulled over on the side of the road…the bus broke down. Again. Except this time, we are an hour away from our ferry to Greece, which we were suppose to board at 6. It was 4:45 when we pulled over.  We unloaded the bus and waited for another one to come pick us up, allegedly in 30 minutes. SERIOUSLY?!?! All I could think was some divine being really doesn’t want me to go to Greece. First a volcano, and now a car break down?!?!?

After getting honked at by virtually every truck driver on the road and reading a majority of my book, a bus finally arrived….at 7 o’clock. The boat didn’t take off till 8, but it would be at least 45 minutes to get there. Sarah said she was calling people to hold the boat. Needless to say we made it on the boat right at 8 o’clock running with every bag!!

The boat is nice, and I have never been on one overnight, but the cabins are TINY! There are 4 of us to a room of bunk beds (I’m on top) with all of our luggage because they didn’t store it. Let’s just say we barely have room to breathe. However, I’m just so happy to be on this boat that I could care less! We ate downstairs (I had lamb, already feeling the Greek vibe), reenacted Titanic outside the boat (well, I did), and I’m now drinking coffee and enjoying wifi. Praying we get to Greece safely!

Also, side note: You can certainly feel the boat moving. I feel like I’m slightly drunk constantly, but I’m getting used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment